Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Meditation (session 2) - Where is my mind?



Yesterday I went meditating for the second time. This time, the woman leading the session told us to spot our spirit, located in the middle of our breast. I was first really happy to learn the Buddhists had managed to discover what scientists and philosophers have been looking for many centuries. Then, being less cynical, I tried to take the exercise as a metaphor rather than literally, and the experience made me feel much better after the session.

Maybe meditation is just a means to increase our spirituality and does not give an easy answer to every existential question, but, one could feel the physical, concrete benefits induced by seeking what “they” call the spirit.

If I had to put a name on the experience, I would say that I felt much more in phase, and comfortable with my body the following afternoon. I often have a slight and subtitle headache accompanying me the whole day, but yesterday I did not feel this.

Thinking about it afterwards, I realize what they mean by the “pure spirit”. In fact, we all experience stress, anxiety, and the whole purpose of the exercise is to “unlever” all these distortions to feel the basis of who we are. The eyes closed, listening to the relaxed voice of the woman, I was able to understand the idea behind all this. She could had state it as: “try to eliminate whatever hinders your way through life”.

No comments:

Post a Comment