Friday, May 28, 2010

The "Yes Man" experiment conclusions



On a lighter tone than the Israeli-Palestinian debate, my "Yes Man" experience was prolonged a little, but the experiment finally came to an end.

What did I do that I would not have done otherwise? Well, I went running with a friend at...8.45 am in the morning on Sunday, May the 16th (I did not wake up before 10am for a very long time before this!!). Quite surprisingly, I enjoyed the experience. A day starting that early feels way better than staying in bed until noon (in terms of moods, attitude towards tasks etc.). Moreover, on Thursday May 3rd, I went out with friends to the Tokyo club, on Saint Laurent, although I hate clubs. This time, I did not maintain the experience, since I got too bored simply queuing to enter the club. Finally, I accepted to play a geeky strategic video game (Age of Empires) on Friday, May 4th, although I initially had different plans.

What should I learn from the experiment? First, it looks like I am not that negative: I accepted just 3 propositions I would not naturally do. Second, a movie is a movie, and what happens to Jim Carrey in Yes Man did not happen to me. I wanted to check if I was missing crazy things in my life, but it does not look like it!

However, it was interesting to notify what I am naturally up to doing (watching movies), and what I more reluctant to do (going clubbing for instance). Digging on this, perhaps there are many good occasions I miss because I have preconceptions. Going running at 8.45am in the morning was a very good experience I am ready to
replicate (but not right now!!).

The conclusions are not plentiful for the moment, but I will try to keep the Yes-attitude until the end of the semester, and post the eventual surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment